New Almaden Quicksilver
operations in New Almaden first began in 1845 under the
claim of Mexican cavalry Officer Captain Andres Castillero.
Castillero discovered cinnabar being used by the Ohlone
Indians contained mercury, which was needed to process
silver in Mexican mines, as well as gold in California.
The mine became the world’s second largest producer of
mercury, also known as “quicksilver." Santa Clara
County Parks and Recreation Department began purchasing
the old mine property in 1973. The area is now a park,
which includes the mining museum located in the former
mine manager's residence. Our extensive archives of mining
operations and area history are located here.
The archive collection also features materials related
to the 682nd Air Force Station at Mt. Umunhum.
Click here for archives